Friday, September 28, 2007

Wrestling is Expensive

Questions are asked over and over about the wrestling business. "How much do you get paid?" I hear that one a lot. Sometimes, I'm ashamed of even answering. The first thing that generally comes to mind is... LIE. But that's another topic in itself. Maybe this subject is something that people usually don't think about... but it's expensive to be a professional wrestler.

I usually get asked the same question over and over about my wrestling boots. They're a pair of solid white, leather boots that have no laces. They have straps and velcro instead of laces. They're a very nice pair of boots. When people see them, friends or fans, they always ask how much I paid for them. The boots that I wear would cost you $500 or more. Expensive, huh?

Think about it this way... everything wrestlers wear is custom made. Boots have to fit perfectly in order to protect the ankles. If you try to wrestle in a pair of loose boots, you could sprain your ankle or even break it very badly. I've known several wrestlers that have broken toes, ankles and even more just because of the gear they wear. Tights are the same way... custom made.

Here's a good way to think about it... what if you're wearing a pair of trunks (they look like underwear that wrestlers wear) and they don't fit properly? You're in the ring going all out... 100 mile per hour beating on your opponent and flopping all around the ring. Your trunks don't fit you... what happens? Something very embarrassing could happen very easily, if you know what I mean. All tights are custom made for wrestlers. The designs on them, putting your name on them and just the way they fit has to be custom. If they don't fit, you may have to be blurred out on television.

I once bought a pair of custom made knee pads for $100. That's right... KNEE PADS. You can buy knee pads at Wal-Mart for ten bucks. So, why would I buy the $100 pair? Well, they were custom for my build. They also had pads not only on the knee... but pads that surrounded the knee for better protection. It was an expensive investment for a pair of knee pads, but hey, I had to have them. You're talking about a guy that paid $500 plus for boots. It's expensive.

For one night of wrestling... the attire that I would wear might look a little like this, price-wise:

Trunks: $75
Matching knee pad covers: $25
Knee pads: $100
Boots: $500
Wrist tape: $5
Shades (Five Starr ALWAYS wears shades): $15
Ring Jacket (I go in style): $150
TOTAL: $870

Pretty expensive, huh? That's how I roll.

No comments: