Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Blood : Real or Fake?

This question ranks very high on the list of commonly asked questions to wrestlers. It definitely is at the top of the list. Maybe number two on the list, to be exact. Of course, number one being : Is wrestling fake? So, is it real? Is the blood in wrestling real or is it fake? Let's take a look at this for a moment, shall we?

Have you ever seen a wrestler pour ketchup on his head? Ok, ok... maybe they're good at hiding it. I guess it could happen. But wouldn't the sweat wash it away after a few minutes? More ketchup is applied, right? Let me clarify this right quick... I mention ketchup because I've actually been asked if that's what it was. Do wrestlers pour ketchup on their heads to make it look like they're bleeding? How funny is that? I wish it was ketchup... I love ketchup!

I've seen matches where wrestlers actually have blood literally POURING from their heads. You tell me how that could possibly be ketchup. Forget ketchup... you tell me how that can be anything other than real-live BLOOD! You can't. Know why? Because it's real blood, that's why.

The picture to the right of the screen was taken after a match that I wrestled at the Nashville Fairgrounds. A big time wrestling town and territory, where the Nashville fans are very smart to the wrestling business. If you're acting phony... they know it. They will actually chant it at you, if you screw something up. Anyway, just as my match was ending, I had my opponent on the floor. I was in the ring. As I reached through the ropes to pull my opponent back into the ring to pin him... he had a steel chair in hand that I hadn't seen. Needless to say, he swung and his me in the side of the head with the edge of the chair. This is the aftermath.

It's just one of many scars that I have on my head and body. Thank goodness it was actually in my hair... I can easily cover it up. I hate to see guys who have been wrestling for years and years and have a scarred up forehead. It's disgusting... all that scar tissue on your forehead is insane. Back in the old-days they just didn't take care of each other like we do now.

I've seen guys hit their heads on concrete floors and get busted open... I've seen guys get busted open by running the ropes and a cable is sticking from them. That'll scar your back up, really quickly. Using weapons is very dangerous, as well.

So, I'm here to tell you all the honest truth : YES, the blood in wrestling is very real. Like they say... it happens.

No comments: